Monday, August 8, 2011

Introduction

Music. It's what makes the world go 'round for some. For others, it's simply something to make their car ride a little more bearable, or to fill that void in a lightly packed bar. However, music lover or not, I've never spoken to anyone who didn't have an opinion on it. Whether you like free-form jazz or "everything but country..." you've got something to say about music. This blog will display my two cents about everything music related.

Let me first start off by saying that I am a music lover. I'm the one who always sits and listens to the guy playing acoustic at the local pub (I applaud, too). I go to concerts as often as my schedule and budget allows. I spend hours on YouTube and Palladia watching the concerts I can't go to. I even play guitar and sing in a band of my own. Music gives me something to do. It gives me a sense of purpose, and, most importantly, it makes me happy.

This blog will not serve the purpose of me trying to force you to "listen to X because of X" or "don't listen to X because, like, they just suck, man." That would make me a musical bully and I'm not about that. I'm creating this blog because I know there are other music lovers out there just like me. We share this in common and I would love to share my thoughts with you as much as I would love to hear what you have to say.

Music is constantly changing. There is so much material out there to listen to. It's literally impossible to experience or have access (legally) to it all. So, I'm going to be honest with you... I don't own a single Eminem album. I don't have any Nirvana (gasp!), Kanye, Radiohead or Zac Brown Band albums. It isn't because I dislike them. I have certain genres and bands I like and, as my musical taste and collection progresses, I find I have so much material from a band I really like that I simply don't have time to get around to the stuff I don't like as much. Do I listen to the 5 North Mississippi Allstars albums I just discovered (and thoroughly enjoy) or do I try to get through "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends," an album I'm not as fond of? I wish I had all the time in the world to take it all in.

If you like music, you'll like this blog. I'll be writing about albums, shows I attend, music theory (yawn?), instruments, all sorts of gear and basically anything and everything having to do with the good vibes that surround us.

Disclaimer: Here's the part where some of you might start to shake your heads and direct the mouse to the little "x" in the corner of the page. For those of you that don't, then we're probably on the same wavelength.

I don't like certain bands (surprise!). I don't like Mumford & Sons. I don't like Vampire Weekend, Rascal Flatts, Arcade Fire, MGMT, The Cure and the list goes on. But, rather than badmouth them and explain why I dislike them, I'll just refrain from discussing them. If that's what you were hoping to read about then I apologize, but maybe this blog isn't for you. Nobody needs to listen to me rant and rave about how Justin Bieber is going to be the death of music as we know it. He's not. Music is here for everybody to enjoy. If you're going to see NKOTBSB, cool. If you just bought a Bela Fleck & the Flecktones album, sweet. Everyone has different tastes and who the hell am I to tell you what they should be?

With that I'll bring my introduction to a close. Thanks for reading. Hopefully you find something you can enjoy and relate to in this blog. Come back soon for more posts.

Regards,
Tommy

1 comment: